On the 24th October 1913, Rathmines Library opened its doors to the public for the first time in its current location, 157 Lower Rathmines Road, Dublin 6.
Right: Rathmines Library is all its splendour. (click to view larger image)
To mark the 100th anniversary of this landmark library, Dublin City Public Libraries (DCPL) have great pleasure in presenting a programme of lectures, exhibitions and children’s events during the month of October.
The first library in Rathmines was opened in 1887, in rented premises at 53 Rathmines Road. In 1902 Rathmines and Rathgar Urban District Council applied for a grant to Andrew Carnegie (links to Britannica Library Ed., DCPL borrower number required to view from home), who was at that time dispensing large sums of money for the building of libraries the world over. The application was successful and in 1903 a sum of £7,500, later increased to £8,500 was granted. It took the Council some time to find a suitable site for the library, but they did eventually and in 1912 building work began. The Library and Technical Institute were opened on October 24th, 1913. Read more »