Monumenta Eblana Obituary Betham Mss 201, Gilbert Collection
This manuscript contains drawings and engravings of the monuments in various Dublin churches. Annexed is a register of births and deaths from 17th century Dublin, taken from an unnamed manuscript in Trinity College and also an inscription on William Molyneux written by Sir Capel Molyneaux, Bart., and dated 1810. The inside front cover includes the bookplate of Sir William Betham, Ulster King of Arms, and that of Sir John T. Gilbert. William Betham came to Dublin in 1805 and began the massive task of the reorganisation and cataloguing of the state manuscripts held in the tower of Dublin Castle. He was an active member of the Royal Irish Academy, engaging in intense research into the primary sources for Irish history. Sir John T. Gilbert was a noted book collector and scholar, and his personal library forms the genesis of much of the material held in the Dublin City Special Collections. The title of the picture reads Harold’s Monument, St Werburgh’s.
For further information on Dublin churches, see the Dublin City Public Libraries catalogue.