St Andrew's Resource Centre is located in a lovely Victorian building, which was built in 1895. The Centre provides many services for the community: a job centre, home-help service, kindergarten, homework club, youth office, day-centre for older people and an adult education group.
This video is designed as a resource for primary and post-primary students up to Junior Certificate.
St. Andrew's Resource Centre, Pearse Street
Just down the street from Pearse Street Library is a lovely Victorian building called St Andrew’s Resource Centre. It was built in 1895 on the site of an old sawmill and marble works called Sibthorpe and Son.
At first the building was used as a national school for boys. In 1909 Countess Markievicz, who was a well-known Irish nationalist and later played an important part in the Easter Rising, founded the Nationalist scouts organisation Na Fianna Éireann here.
St Andrew’s remained a school for nearly 80 years but in 1972 it was closed because there weren’t enough children living in the area any more.
In 1989 it became a resource centre, providing many services for the local community: a job centre, home-help service, kindergarten, homework club, youth office, a day-centre for older people, and an adult education group. It also has a heritage office with a big collection of old photos of this area. St Andrew’s also organises the South Docks Festival. It is a great asset to this community.