White Swan Laundry Advertisement
Source: The Belvederian, 1951, Periodical Collection, Dublin City Library and Archive.
Commercial Laundries in Ireland had to compete with the Magdalen Laundries which had been operating in Dublin through the nineteenth century and up until the last decades of the 20th. The White Swan started trading in Donore Avenue in the 1930s and expanded under the O’Neill family in the 1960s and 70s. By 1980, the area around the laundry had begun to be developed as an industrial estate and during that decade the laundry itself closed. The name is preserved in the industrial estate now present on the site of the laundry.