John Grace Building Contractor Business Card
The Grace family trace their history in the Coombe back as far as 1776. The Graces are listed as grocers there from the beginning of the 19th century. By the last years of the 19th century the business in the Coombe had developed into that of timber merchants, building contractors and joinery. Sometime after 1890 Grace’s began to specialise and became a Well Sinking and Pump Making business. This continued to operate as a successful concern up until the 1950s. The pumps were made of wood, and according to Tony Keegen, a descendant of Philip Grace, there is only one remaining, at Kiltiernan in County Dublin. The Grace family papers can be consulted in the Dublin and Irish Collections.