St Patrick’s Cathedral
W. H Bartlett
Image from Dublin City Library and Archive, Topographical Engravings.
The ghosts of Jonathan Swift and Stella (Esther Johnson) traditionally haunt St Patrick's Cathedral, though the Dean has also been seen in the hospital he founded, also called St Patrick’s. Folklore and urban legend state that Stella and Swift were secretly married in the Deanery garden, which later became part of the Meath Hospital. A figure identified as Stella has reputedly been seen there. There have also been reportings of Dean Swift being sensed as a ghostly presence in the Deanery of St Patrick’s and a ghostly figure has been seen entering one of the rooms in the building on a number of occasions.There has been a church on the site of St Patrick’s since 1191 and the present early twelfth century building was given Cathedral status in early 13th century.